CONSTITUTION OF SOUTH DERBYSHIRE ROAD RUNNERS
The name of the organisation shall be South Derbyshire Road Runners, hereinafter referred to as the ‘Club’.
The club is established to pursue the following objectives:
i) Participation in the sport of running, in all its disciplines, hereinafter referred to as the ‘sport’
ii) The organisation, management and development of recreational walking for all members of the Club
iii) Membership of appropriate leagues for the purpose of establishing regular competitive activity for the club’s representative teams & individuals
iv) The provision of training & development activities for its members.
v) Promoting and maintaining the highest standards of technical competence and safety in the sport
vi) Upholding the rules of the sport.
vii) Providing equal opportunities for successful participation by all sections of the community
viii) The promotion of the sport.
The Club shall be affiliated to England Athletics or its successor body
All members are subject to the Constitution of the Club and the regulations of England Athletics or its successor body
- a) Membership is open to all and no application for membership will be refused on other than reasonable grounds.
- b) There will be no discrimination on grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex; sexual orientation, political or other opinion.
- c) All applications for membership shall be accompanied by the appropriate annual membership fee, which shall thereafter be payable on demand.
- d) Each fully paid up member shall be entitled to attend and vote at Annual General Meetings or Extraordinary General Meetings.
- e) Fully paid up members may be elected and serve on the Management Committee.
- f) All members will have access to a copy of the Constitution.
- g) Minimum age for membership shall be 18 years of age by 1st April in the year application for membership is made
- h) Members shall be enrolled on one of the following categories:
|ii)||Non Competing Member|
|iii)||Recreational Walking Member|
- Suspension, Refusal or Termination of Membership
- a) The management committee shall be entitled to:i) Refuse any application for membership on the grounds that such membership would be prejudicial to the objectives of the club as set out in Rule 2 of this constitution.
ii) For good and sufficient reason to refuse renewal of any existing membership or terminate or suspend any membership provided that the member concerned shall have the right to be heard by the full management committee before a final decision is made.
iii) The member may apply for reinstatement at the next general meeting.
iv) Any member who fails to pay their fees by the date required shall forfeit their right to representation on the management committee and at general meetings, and shall be suspended from taking part in any event under the control of the club until such fees are paid.
v) Any member under suspension shall be barred from taking part in any event under the control of the club.
vi) The management committee shall inform the member in writing of any decision to terminate their membership.
vii) Notification of the termination of a membership will be forwarded to the Governing Body.
- a) Annual General Meeting (AGM)
The AGM shall be held each year at such time and place as determined by the management committee, at approximately twelve monthly intervals, but no more than fourteen months after the date of the previous AGM. At each AGM the following business shall be conducted:
|i)||Receive and confirm the minutes of the previous AGM.|
|ii)||Presentation of the club’s financial accounts for the year.|
|iii)||Presentation of club’s projected financial situation for the forthcoming year, and the setting of all fees|
|iv)||Presentation of Chairperson’s report.|
|v)||Election of officers to the management committee.|
|vi)||Any other business brought before the meeting which has been submitted in writing to the secretary not less than seven days prior to the AGM, and any other business deemed relevant by the chairperson|
Notice for an AGM shall be a minimum of 21 days.
A quorum for an AGM shall be 10 members.
- b) Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM)
An EGM may be called upon the written demand of:
- i) 33% of the membership.
ii) The Chairperson.
iii) 2/3 majority of the management committee.
Notice for an EGM shall be of a minimum of fourteen days and state the business to be discussed.
- Rules for AGM & EGM
a) The Chairperson, or in his/her absence a member selected by the meeting, will take the Chair.
b) All members shall register with the Secretary prior to the start of the meeting.
c) Each member shall have one vote.
d) All votes shall be determined by a simple majority. In the event of a tied vote, the Chair may exercise a casting vote.
e)The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the meetings and record all proceedings and resolutions.
- Election of Officers to the Management Committee
- a) The members of the management committee shall be drawn from the membership, as defined in clause 4 of this constitution.
- b) Candidates shall be elected by paper ballot at the AGM and, once elected, shall be members of the management committee from the conclusion of that AGM until the conclusion of the following AGM
- c) All nominations of candidates for election shall: have the consent of the nominee; be in writing; be seconded; be received by the secretary not less than fourteen days before the AGM.
- d) Uncontested posts may be filled by nomination(s) and election at the AGM.
- e) The Secretary shall publicise & make all members aware of a list of all nominations not less than seven days prior to the AGM.
- Members of the Management Committee
- a) The Management Committee shall consist of the following Officers:
|iii)||Treasurer & Membership Secretary|
|iv)||Women’s Club Captain & Representative|
|v)||Men’s Club Captain & Representative|
- b) All the above shall be entitled to one vote each at General Meetings except the Chairperson. (See clause 10e for exception to this)
- c) The committee may co-opt any member to any unfilled post until the conclusion of the following AGM, providing that the number of co-optees shall not exceed one third of the total number of persons serving on the committee at that time.
- d) The management committee may appoint any sub-committees it may deem necessary to deal with the matters of the club, until the conclusion of the following AGM. The proceedings of all such committees shall report to the management committee by a representative elected by that sub-committee.10. Rules for the Management Committee
- a) The Chairperson shall chair the meeting, or in his/her absence one of either the Secretary or a nominee from the committee in the event.
- b) Fourteen days notice of any meeting of the management committee shall be given by the Secretary, except when:
i) The date of the meeting had been agreed at the previous management meeting, in which case seven days notice shall be given.
ii) In an emergency the Chairperson may call a meeting at four days notice.
- c) The quorum shall be 3 of those Officers entitled to vote, as listed at Rule 9. a)
- d) All members of the management committee as listed at Rule 9. a) shall be entitled to vote.
- e) All votes shall be determined by a simple majority. In the event of a tied vote, the Chair may exercise a casting vote.
- f) Meetings shall be open to all members of the club.
- a) The income and property of the club, however derived, shall be applied solely towards the objectives of the club as set out in Rule 2, of this constitution.
- b) The club shall have the power to raise money by means of yearly affiliation fees and event fees as determined by the Management Committee at the Annual General Meeting.
- c) All monies shall be lodged in a bank account in the name of the club.
- d) The Chairperson, Treasurer & Membership Secretary and Secretary shall be authorised signatories to sign cheques on behalf of the club, of which two signatories shall be needed.
- e) The financial year of the club shall run from 1st January to 31st December.
- Amendments to the Constitution
This Constitution may only be amended by a proposal passed by a majority of members present and entitled to vote at an Annual or Extraordinary General Meeting.
- The Dissolution of the Club.
a) Any resolution to dissolve the club may be passed at any General Meeting provided that:
|i)||the terms of the proposed resolution are received by the Secretary at least forty two days before the meeting at which the resolution is to be brought forward, and that|
|ii)||at least twenty eight days of the proposed resolution shall be given in writing by the secretary to all members, and that|
|iii)||such a resolution shall receive the assent of two thirds of those present and entitled to vote.|
- b) If, upon the winding up or dissolution of the Club there remains after the satisfaction of all the Club’s debts and liabilities any property whatsoever, the same shall be given or transferred to some other organisation or organisations having objects (that is, aims and activities) similar to the objects of the Club by Resolution passed at a General meeting at or before the time of the dissolution, and in so far as effect cannot be given to such provision then to some charitable objects.
It is hereby certified that this document represents a true and most up to date version of the Constitution of South Derbyshire Road Runners Club.